Alex Tagliani beat Justin Wilson to the fastest time in Saturday morning practice at Long Beach.
Newman Haas Lanigan driver Wilson - who had been quickest in both practice and first qualifying on Friday - led the way for most of this morning's 70-minute session, before being pipped by Tagliani's Walker Racing car shortly before the session ended under red flags after Alex Figge (Pacific Coast) crashed at Turn 1.
Will Power was third fastest for KV Racing, ahead of Conquest's Franck Perera - who has ground to make up in final qualifying later today after fuel pressure problems left him only 16th on the provisional grid.
Paul Tracy completed the top five in the best of the Forsythe cars, with Perera's teammate Enrique Bernoldi going sixth fastest.
The red flag for Figge's incident was the third stoppage of the session. A brief red flag had been required for debris to be retrieved early on, and the session was interrupted a second time when Rocketsports' rookie Juho Annala crashed at Turn 9.
Both Dale Coyne Racing cars went down the escape road at the same spot but were able to continue without damage.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Alex Tagliani Walker 1:07.252
2. Justin Wilson Newman Haas Lanigan 1:07.472 + 0.220
3. Will Power KV Racing 1:07.633 + 0.381
4. Franck Perera Conquest 1:07.696 + 0.444
5. Paul Tracy Forsythe Pettit 1:07.712 + 0.460
6. Enrique Bernoldi Conquest 1:07.834 + 0.582
7. EJ Viso HVM 1:08.013 + 0.761
8. Franck Montagny Forsythe Pettit 1:08.015 + 0.763
9. Nelson Philippe Minardi HVM 1:08.071 + 0.819
10. Mario Dominguez Pacific Coast 1:08.085 + 0.833
11. Oriol Servia KV Racing 1:08.173 + 0.921
12. Graham Rahal Newman Haas Lanigan 1:08.285 + 1.033
13. Antonio Pizzonia Rocketsports 1:08.565 + 1.313
14. Roberto Moreno Minardi HVM 1:08.626 + 1.374
15. David Martinez Forsythe Pettit 1:08.839 + 1.587
16. Bruno Junqueira Dale Coyne 1:08.864 + 1.612
17. Alex Figge Pacific Coast 1:08.882 + 1.630
18. Jimmy Vasser KV Racing 1:08.886 + 1.634
19. Mario Moraes Dale Coyne 1:09.184 + 1.932
20. Juho Annala Rocketsports 1:11.923 + 4.671