Bernoldi secures Rocketsports drive
|By Steven English||Monday, January 28th 2008, 17:44 GMT|
Enrique Bernoldi will return to single-seaters this season when he contests the Champ Car World Series with Rocketsports Racing.
The 29-year-old ex-Grand Prix driver raced in the Brazilian Stock Car series last year, but is keen to return to open wheel racing.
He said: "I'm excited about this year. I've always wanted to race in North America and I think Champ Car is the best place for me to do that.
"I like the variety of street and permanent courses and I know that Rocketsports is willing to help me learn about the series. I tested for the team two years ago and I'm pleased we've reached a deal now."
Bernoldi spent two seasons in F1 with Arrows in 2001 and 2002 before the team closed down. He raced briefly in the Nissan World Series before landing the role of F1 test driver for Honda from 2004-06.
Rocketsports boss Paul Gentilozzi said: "Enrique has a great understanding of open wheel cars and that really showed when he tested with us. I can definitely see him as a potential race winner.
"It's nice for us to be able to sign a driver this early and it will be a great benefit to have him testing with us throughout the pre-season."