McRae aiming to return to WRC in '08
|By Glenn Freeman and Eric Johnson||Friday, August 3rd 2007, 16:15 GMT|
Colin McRae has said that he is currently working on getting back into the WRC for the 2008 season.
The 1995 world champion has not competed in a world championship event since he stood in for Sebastien Loeb in Turkey last year, but he has not given up on finding another drive in the WRC.
"We're working on a couple of ideas this year," McRae told autosport.com. "So something may happen next year."
While the Scottish driver admitted that he was "absolutely" still keen on getting back into the WRC, he also pointed out that he feels that next season will be his last chance for a return to the top level.
"If it doesn't happen next year, then I won't (return) because you can only be out of something at that level for so long," he said.
"It's the same as any other sport - if you want to go to the top, it takes total commitment."
McRae, who turns 39 this month, added that he would be happy to focus on other projects such as the development of his own rally car if another deal doesn't come together.
"If something does happen great, if it doesn't, I'll turn my attentions to other things," he said.