Sepang yet to sign new GP contract
|By Pablo Elizalde||Monday, April 23rd 2007, 09:26 GMT|
Malaysian Grand Prix bosses are yet to sign the deal to extend their contract with Formula One Management for a further five years.
Sepang International Circuit chairman Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir said on Saturday the circuit had secured a five-year extension of their current contract that would mean the Grand Prix would stay at the track until 2015.
Mahathir, however, said on Monday that the deal is yet to be signed, with the Malaysian government still considering the viability of new clauses included in the contract.
"Yes, we have received the contract to host the world championship until 2015 but we have not signed it yet," Mokhzani told the New Strait Times.
Some of the new clauses are believed to relate to improvements needed on the circuit, after Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said during this year's Malaysian Grand Prix that the track needed a face lift.
"It's starting to get a little shabby and looks a bit tired," Ecclestone said earlier this month.
"The circuit itself is fine, it's the general structure around. Like I said, it's very hard to keep it tidy and clean. There is rubbish all over the place and it's not really a good sign for Malaysia."
Sepang made its debut on the Formula One calendar in 1999, when Ecclestone considered the circuit to be state-of-the-art.