Turkish Grand Prix bosses have been hauled in front of an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council to explain the controversial podium ceremony at last weekend's race.
The FIA launched an investigation earlier this week after Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat presented a trophy on the Istanbul podium and was introduced as president of the Turkish Cypriot 'state' - which only Turkey recognises.
This action infuriated the Cypriot government, who asked the Cypriot Automobile Association to lodge an official complaint.
After investigating the matter, the FIA has shown its anger at what happened by citing a number of breaches of regulations in what the Turkish organisers did.
A statement issued by the FIA on Thursday said: "The National Sporting Authority of Turkey (TOSFED) and the Organisers of the 2006 Turkish Grand Prix (MSO) have been called to appear before a specially convened meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on September 19, 2006, to hear charges that they have acted in breach of the FIA Statutes, the International Sporting Code and the 2006 Formula One Sporting Regulations
Should the Turkish authorities be found guilty of breaches in the regulations, then severe sanctions can be expected.
In 1997, the Spanish track of Jerez was told it would never host a Formula One race again after a local mayor was allowed to interrupt the podium ceremony at the European Grand Prix.