Enough with the apologies, says Coulthard
|By Jonathan Noble||Friday, June 30th 2006, 02:02 GMT|
David Coulthard has had enough of the apologetic tone carried towards the American fans ahead of this year's United States Grand Prix and says the disappointment of last year's fiasco at Indianapolis should be left in the past.
Coulthard, who was critical of the sport's leaders last year for not finding a solution that would allow the race to start with a full grid, after all seven Michelin teams withdrew from the event, says the fans were sufficiently compensated.
"We have said 'sorry'," the Red Bull driver said on Thursday. "I don't see why the American public deserves more apologies than [spectators at] some other races that have not been particularly good.
"It was an unfortunate situation, but those who bought tickets have had their money back, and we will just go and do the best we can.
"If the Americans enjoy it that's great, if they don't so be it."
Michelin has refunded ticket holders from last year's Grand Prix and has also purchased 20,000 tickets that were given away for free to spectators from last year's race.