Marc Marquez stayed clear of Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo to notch up his 10th pole of the 2014 MotoGP season at Silverstone.
Marquez had topped all four practice sessions heading into British Grand Prix qualifying, but his initial Q2 lap was underwhelming - placing the Honda only third behind Dovizioso's Ducati and Lorenzo's Yamaha.
That was just a warm-up effort, though, and Marquez's next lap put him on provisional pole by three tenths of a second.
His rivals responded, and Lorenzo - who had been off the pace and extremely unhappy with Bridgestone's Silverstone tyre choice on Friday - stole the top spot back again with a 2m01.175s lap.
It wasn't enough, as Marquez's final effort was a 2m00.829s, giving him pole while Dovizioso edged out Lorenzo by 0.035s for second place and his third straight front row start.
Aleix Espargaro put the Forward Yamaha ahead of Dani Pedrosa and Valentino Rossi on row two.
Bradley Smith was top Briton in seventh, though it was Scott Redding who made the biggest impression among the home contingent as he topped Q1 on his production-spec Gresini Honda and then held seventh after the first Q2 runs. He was eventually pushed back to 11th.
Stefan Bradl added an accident in practice four to his Saturday morning accident and could only qualify ninth, just in front of fellow crasher Andrea Iannone, who fell on his final qualifying lap.
Briton Leon Camier also had a shunt in qualifying, going off on his last Q1 run and leaving himself 18th on the grid.
Cal Crutchlow could not get beyond Q1 and will start 15th for his home event.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Marc Marquez Honda 2m00.829s
2. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 2m01.140s +0.311s
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.175s +0.346s
4. Aleix Espargaro Forward Yamaha 2m01.448s +0.619s
5. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m01.464s +0.635s
6. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 2m01.550s +0.721s
7. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.593s +0.764s
8. Pol Espargaro Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.747s +0.918s
9. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2m01.973s +1.144s
10. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 2m02.064s +1.235s
11. Scott Redding Gresini Honda 2m02.116s +1.287s
12. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 2m03.618s +2.789s
13. Yonny Hernandez Pramac Ducati 2m03.046s Q1
14. Karel Abraham Cardion Honda 2m03.206s Q1
15. Cal Crutchlow Ducati 2m03.407s Q1
16. Hiroshi Aoyama Aspar Honda 2m03.563s Q1
17. Alex de Angelis Forward Yamaha 2m03.686s Q1
18. Leon Camier Aspar Honda 2m03.696s Q1
19. Danilo Petrucci Ioda Aprilia 2m04.755s Q1
20. Michael Laverty PBM Aprilia 2m04.836s Q1
21. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m04.957s Q1
22. Mike di Meglio Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m05.451s Q1
23. Broc Parkes PBM Aprilia 2m06.106s Q1