Max Chilton will race at Belgian Grand Prix after all
|By Jonathan Noble||Friday, August 22nd 2014, 08:24 GMT|
Max Chilton will race for Marussia at the Belgian Grand Prix after all, his team announced on Friday.
On the back of contractual issues between the British driver and his team that came to a head in recent weeks, the outfit announced on Thursday that its reserve driver Alexander Rossi would take his place for the Spa-Francorchamps weekend.
Although the team did not state what those contractual issues were, it is understood they related to the non-payment of promised sponsorship funds from Chilton's backers.
Chilton claimed himself, however, that he had voluntarily stepped aside so that the outfit could sell his seat to secure what he said was a much-needed financial boost.
But despite the suggestion of him offering to vacate the seat, a deal appeared to have been completed overnight that has ensured he will be back racing this weekend.
A team spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that Chilton would be racing, and that an application had already been lodged with the FIA for him to be back in the car for Friday afternoon's second free practice session.
A statement issued by the FIA said: "The stewards have received a request from Marussia F1 Team to change the nominated driver Alexander Rossi (car #42) back to their previously nominated driver Max Chilton (car #4) for the 2014 Belgian Grand Prix.
"In accordance with Article 19 of the FIA Formula 1 sporting regulations the stewards grant permission for this driver change."