Dani Pedrosa upstaged Honda team-mate Marc Marquez at the end of practice three for MotoGP's Czech Grand Prix at Brno.
Marquez's early 1m56.649s kept him on top for most of the session, but on his final run Pedrosa closed in to just 0.034 seconds behind.
Pedrosa had been up on Marquez for much of that lap before losing time, so seemed to have more to come.
He proved it with consecutive laps in 1m56.432s and 1m56.282s to first take the top spot, then move it further out of his rivals' reach.
Marquez improved on his last lap too, but remained 0.317s slower than his team-mate.
Bradley Smith had been in jeopardy of missing the Q2 places after an early visit to the gravel, before a determined late lap brought him up to second, which became third after Pedrosa's progress.
That meant Tech 3 rider Smith was the leading Yamaha, with factory men Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi 0.006s and 0.011s behind him respectively.
Ducati men Andrea Iannone and Cal Crutchlow also had to make last-gasp jumps to ensure Q2 places, ending up sixth and 10th, split by Pol Espargaro, Andrea Dovizioso and Aleix Espargaro.
Crutchlow was the final rider to improve, and his Q2 slot came at the expense of Stefan Bradl, who must go through Q1 for the first time in 2014.
Yonny Hernandez and Alvaro Bautista will be Bradl's main opposition in first qualifying.
Ducati's additional rider Michele Pirro is also in Q1. He was 14th in practice three and had a fall early on.
Hector Barbera was the session's other crasher, sliding into the gravel and making it all the way to the barriers - which he duly punched in frustration while trying to dig his Avintia bike out of the tyres.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m56.282s 17
2. Marc Marquez Honda 1m56.599s +0.317s 15
3. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m56.780s +0.498s 18
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m56.786s +0.504s 16
5. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m56.791s +0.509s 16
6. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m56.816s +0.534s 14
7. Pol Espargaro Tech 3 Yamaha 1m56.825s +0.543s 17
8. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m56.882s +0.600s 15
9. Cal Crutchlow Ducati 1m57.016s +0.734s 16
10. Aleix Espargaro Forward Yamaha 1m57.090s +0.808s 14
11. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m57.091s +0.809s 17
12. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m57.494s +1.212s 18
13. Yonny Hernandez Pramac Ducati 1m57.517s +1.235s 15
14. Michele Pirro Ducati 1m57.785s +1.503s 13
15. Scott Redding Gresini Honda 1m57.790s +1.508s 16
16. Hiroshi Aoyama Aspar Honda 1m58.865s +2.583s 18
17. Karel Abraham Cardion Honda 1m59.153s +2.871s 15
18. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m59.561s +3.279s 11
19. Leon Camier Aspar Honda 1m59.593s +3.311s 17
20. Alex de Angelis Forward Yamaha 1m59.889s +3.607s 17
21. Mike di Meglio Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m00.117s +3.835s 17
22. Danilo Petrucci Ioda Aprilia 2m00.173s +3.891s 15
23. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 2m00.895s +4.613s 14
24. Broc Parkes PBM-Aprilia 2m01.293s +5.011s 13