Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 15 views remaining

You have read 5 stories this month. After 20, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 20 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Andrew Van de Burgt
Editor in Chief

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Formula 1 teams all remove FRIC suspension for German Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, leads British GP 2014, Silverstone

Formula 1 teams have all removed their FRIC suspension systems for the German Grand Prix, ending fears that the weekend could be overshadowed by protests.

Despite not all squads confirming their intentions ahead of the opening day of practice, the FIA's technical delegate Jo Bauer clarified on Thursday night that no team was running with the concept.

In a technical report issued after scrutineering, Bauer said: "I can confirm that no car is fitted with a front to rear linked suspension systems of any sort."

The decision by everyone in the pitlane to not run FRIC removes the prospect of any team opting to protest a rival, with the FIA having made clear last week that it believed the system could be challenged under the moveable aerodynamic devices rules.

Despite the entire grid removing FRIC to bring a swift end to the controversy, Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn believed the matter should not have come up at all at this stage of the season.

"For me the whole discussion, it is a very wrong image that we are creating - which worries me," she said.

"We all entered with whatever [FRIC] device this year and in the middle of the year we decide it is not right.

"I don't know if it is frustration. It is a certain incompetence or capability of the sport to look stable and clear. It is the governing body that is responsible for the rules, and to monitor the rules and see if they are adhered to do or not.

"It is not the governing body's fault if we are developing our systems, so maybe we have to move more towards rules that don't allow these kinds of things in the first place."

IMPACT UNKNOWN

Most F1 drivers and teams were unsure about the impact of the FRIC removal on the overall competitive order, with the device worth around four tenths of a second per lap.

When asked what impact the de facto ban would have, Fernando Alonso said: "Nothing really. It is a system that has been on F1 cars for some years now and there is not a big implication in terms of driving style or anything that can change the behaviour of the car. It is like changing from soft to medium tyres.

"OK, you will go a little slower and some teams will adapt maybe a bit better but we will not see a Marussia on pole position or something like that. It is just a couple of tenths for everyone."

Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo was more open, saying he hoped the change would hurt Mercedes more.

"We'll see. The thought of it is nice - that maybe Mercedes had a really trick system and will lose out more than us," he said. "But we'll see what really happens on track.

"In saying all that, I don't think it's going to be a change that will cost a second in lap time. I think it will be a tenth or two tenths. Maybe it will make them faster..."

Subs
 Earlier F1 story More news Next F1 story 
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
Haymarket