Lucas di Grassi set the pace for the Audi-backed Abt team on the second day of Formula E testing at Donington Park on Friday.
The ex-Formula 1 racer just edged his sportscar rival Sebastien Buemi - fastest on day one - with a 1m31.973s.
Buemi's e.dams entry was just one tenth of a second back, while a top five lockout by ex-F1 drivers was completed by Nick Heidfeld, Scott Speed and Bruno Senna.
Friday's times ended up being much faster than the laps set on Thursday after a temporary chicane on the exit of the Old Hairpin was removed.
Several drivers, including Jarno Trulli, Karun Chandhok and Antonio Garcia, made contact with the tyre barriers that formed the chicane, and the laptimes at the front improved by nearly four seconds following the change.
Di Grassi, who was driving two cars in the absence of his GP2-competing team-mate Daniel Abt, said: "It was my first time driving the car with full power and I'm really pleased with the performance.
"With Daniel at Silverstone I had the use of two cars so was able to do a lot of work in race mode.
"We had very little problems and I'm looking forward to getting in the car next week."
With 16 of the 19 cars lapping within five seconds of each other, the rear of the field was brought up by Dragon Racing's Oriol Servia and Mike Conway, who were both more than 10 seconds off the pace.
Jerome d'Ambrosio set the pace in the morning running, but he slipped to ninth by the end of the day.
Jamie Alguersuari - who was 16th fastest - lost some track time after damaging a pullrod by going off at a fast corner.
With DTM racer Antonio Felix da Costa leaving the test to join up with Red Bull's F1 team at the British Grand Prix, his Aguri seat was taken by reigning GP2 champion Fabio Leimer.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps
1. Lucas di Grassi Abt 1m31.973s 37
2. Sebastien Buemi e.dams 1m32.089s +0.116s 41
3. Nick Heidfeld Venturi 1m32.373s +0.400s 49
4. Scott Speed Andretti 1m32.632s +0.559s 32
5. Bruno Senna Mahindra 1m32.960s +0.987s 47
6. Antonio Garcia China 1m32.966s +0.993s 48
7. Nicolas Prost e.dams 1m33.040s +1.067s 44
8. Sam Bird Virgin 1m33.072s +1.099s 56
9. Jerome d'Ambrosio China 1m33.178s +1.205s 45
10. Jarno Trulli Trulli 1m33.299s +1.326s 30
11. Franck Montagny Andretti 1m33.754s +1.781s 36
12. Fabio Leimer Aguri 1m33.792s +1.819s 51
13. Stephane Sarrazin Venturi 1m34.006s +2.033s 51
14. Katherine Legge Aguri 1m34.071s +2.098s 37
15. Michela Cerruti Trulli 1m36.064s +4.091s 25
16. Jaime Alguersuari Virgin 1m36.962s +4.989s 42
17. Karun Chandhok Mahindra 1m37.415s +5.442s 17
18. Oriol Servia Dragon 1m43.239s +11.037s 8
19. Mike Conway Dragon 1m44.698s +12.725s 7