Brad Keselowski claimed his third pole of the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup season as he denied Penske Ford team-mate Joey Logano the top spot in Kentucky Speedway qualifying.
Logano had been fastest in the first two segments of the three-leg knockout qualifying session, but a lap in 28.603 seconds and at 188.791mph gave Keselowski pole for Saturday night's race by 0.247s over his team-mate, in what was also the third all-Penske front row of the year.
It came just hours after Keselowski had secured pole for Friday night's Nationwide Series round as well.
Jeff Gordon led Hendrick's challenge in third place at the only track on the current schedule where he has yet to win.
Remarkably given the team's recent form, Gordon was the only Hendrick man to reach the pole shootout, with Kasey Kahne 17 places further back in 20th, and both Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr eliminated in the first part of qualifying. They will start only 25th and 29th.
Denny Hamlin was the fastest Toyota man in fourth for Joe Gibbs Racing, ahead of Kevin Harvick and top rookie Kyle Larson, who had been quickest of all in morning practice.
Last week's Sonoma winner Carl Edwards starts 23rd.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Brad Keselowski Penske Ford 28.603s
2. Joey Logano Penske Ford 28.850s +0.247s
3. Jeff Gordon Hendrick Chevrolet 28.903s +0.300s
4. Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Toyota 28.974s +0.371s
5. Kevin Harvick Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 29.016s +0.413s
6. Kyle Larson Ganassi Chevrolet 29.027s +0.424s
7. Ryan Newman Childress Chevrolet 29.030s +0.427s
8. Jamie McMurray Ganassi Chevrolet 29.039s +0.436s
9. Kurt Busch Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 29.040s +0.437s
10. Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 29.063s +0.460s
11. Clint Bowyer Waltrip Toyota 29.124s +0.521s
12. Paul Menard Childress Chevrolet 29.174s +0.571s
13. Tony Stewart Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 29.055s Round 2
14. Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Toyota 29.077s Round 2
15. AJ Allmendinger JTG Daugherty Chevrolet 29.110s Round 2
16. Austin Dillon Childress Chevrolet 29.135s Round 2
17. Brian Vickers Waltrip Toyota 29.174s Round 2
18. Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Toyota 29.181s Round 2
19. Martin Truex Jr Furniture Row Chevrolet 29.227s Round 2
20. Kasey Kahne Hendrick Chevrolet 29.274s Round 2
21. Ricky Stenhouse Jr Roush Fenway Ford 29.299s Round 2
22. Aric Almirola Petty Ford 29.300s Round 2
23. Carl Edwards Roush Fenway Ford 29.331s Round 2
24. Greg Biffle Roush Fenway Ford 29.486s Round 2
25. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Chevrolet 29.402s Round 1
26. Casey Mears Germain Chevrolet 29.440s Round 1
27. Marcos Ambrose Petty Ford 29.482s Round 1
28. Justin Allgaier HScott Chevrolet 29.538s Round 1
29. Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Chevrolet 29.540s Round 1
30. Cole Whitt BK Toyota 29.544s Round 1
31. Reed Sorenson Baldwin Chevrolet 29.684s Round 1
32. Michael Annett Baldwin Chevrolet 29.758s Round 1
33. Alex Bowman BK Toyota 29.787s Round 1
34. Josh Wise Parsons Chevrolet 29.802s Round 1
35. Travis Kvapil FAS Lane Ford 29.930s Round 1
36. David Ragan Front Row Ford 30.050s Round 1
37. Landon Cassill Hillman Chevrolet 30.109s Round 1
38. David Stremme Circle Sport Chevrolet 30.223s Round 1
39. Ryan Truex BK Toyota 30.268s Round 1
40. Joe Nemechek NEMCO Toyota 30.326s Round 1
41. David Gilliland Front Row Ford 30.543s Round 1
42. Mike Bliss BK Toyota 31.508s Round 1