Marc Gene is aiming to extend his career as an LMP1 driver after finishing second in last weekend's Le Mans 24 Hours on his recall to Audi.
The Spaniard, who was relegated from Audi's third Le Mans entry to a test and reserve role for 2014, is looking to continue in the wake of an impressive performance in the race after taking Loic Duval's place in the #1 R18 e-tron quattro.
"I wasn't expecting that kind of performance, no one was," Gene told AUTOSPORT.
"The new cars suit my driving style: you have to look forward and work out where to catch and pass the slower cars to make the best of the fuel.
"I felt I was very good in traffic, but in the past that was where I lost time."
Gene, 40, revealed that he believed his prototype career had come to an end after losing his ride for Le Mans and the Spa World Endurance Championship round this year.
"I did feel it was over, but if I can do it for another couple of years, why not?" he said.
"I hope I have done enough to keep my place with Audi."
Gene stressed that he was only seeking to race at Le Mans and Spa, which Audi uses as its Le Mans warm-up.
"My work with Ferrari [as a development driver and ambassador] means I would only have time for two races," he explained.
Gene, who won Le Mans with Peugeot in 2009, joined Audi after the end of the 908 programme in 2012 as a replacement for the injured Timo Bernhard alongside Duval and Romain Dumas.
He subsequently retained his place in the third Audi for 2013, finishing third at Le Mans alongside di Grassi and Oliver Jarvis.
His role as test and reserve driver this year involved racing for the Jota Zytek team in the seat filled by Filipe Albuquerque in the European Le Mans Series.
He had already taken part in practice and qualifying for Jota on Wednesday when he was recalled by Audi after Duval was prevented from taking part in the race by medical officials.
Subscribe to Autosport Plus
Register for free