Winter World Endurance Championship schedule possible for 2015
|By Gary Watkins||Saturday, June 14th 2014, 10:34 GMT|
World Endurance Championship bosses have refused to rule out a switch to a winter calendar climaxing with the Le Mans 24 Hours in time for next year.
Series boss Gerard Neveu said that there was already a consensus among the WEC teams that the move, first outlined in March, was a good idea.
"Everyone is happy with the idea of finishing the championship with Le Mans," he told AUTOSPORT.
"It could happen quickly if we find the right way to jump from the existing calendar."
The WEC has always stressed that the major obstacle to overcome is the transition from the current annual schedule to a calendar that straddles two calendar years.
It is understood that the series is working on running a short 2015 season climaxing at Le Mans in June before a full 2015/16 season begins in the autumn.
The late finish to this year's championship at Interlagos on November 30 would almost certainly preclude the new season beginning before the new year.
The WEC appears to be planning at least one flyaway, possibly in the US, early next year ahead of three races in Europe prior to Le Mans.
Neveu has revealed that key meetings about the future of the WEC have taken place this week, and a decision would be made on the calendar between September and November.
He is also in discussion with a number of new venues for the WEC in the future.
There have been discussions with Montreal, which signed a new 10-year deal to the host the Canadian Grand Prix earlier this month.
"We are visiting different circuits around the world and studying the calendar for the coming seasons, and Montreal is one of the options," he said.
The WEC signed a deal with the FIA on Saturday to extend its deal to run the championship for another three years.