Scott McLaughlin gave the new Volvo S60 its first win in a points-scoring V8 Supercars race at Barbagallo.
Although the Garry Rogers Motorsport driver had triumphed in one of the non-points Formula 1 support races at the Australian Grand Prix in March, the victory in race one on Saturday was the S60's first in a championship round.
McLaughlin had taken pole but lost the lead to Craig Lowndes off the line and was also overtaken by flying veteran Russell Ingall starting lap two.
But the key to the race would be managing the very high tyre wear experienced at the Perth track, and the Volvo was proving kinder to its rubber.
McLaughlin was soon back ahead of Ingall and then took the lead from Lowndes's Triple Eight Holden just before the mid-race pitstops.
He then had to fight back past earlier-stoppers Mark Winterbottom and Will Davison, plus Shane van Gisbergen and Jack Perkins, who were trying the nearly impossible task of getting through on one set of tyres.
Even after that was accomplished, McLaughlin had to resist pressure from Fabian Coulthard, who had pitted later than most and mounted a charge to finish just 0.7 seconds behind the Volvo.
Chaz Mostert also benefited from a later pitstop to beat Ford Performance Racing team-mate Winterbottom to third.
Lowndes ended up sixth between the Erebus Mercedes of Lee Holdsworth and Davison after losing ground in the pit sequence. Ingall's pace faded as the race went on and he finished 12th.
Reigning champion Jamie Whincup's struggles continued. He qualified only 11th and fared worse still in the race, sliding back to 17th.
Results - 42 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Scott McLaughlin GRM Volvo 41m12.4848s
2. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden +0.7538s
3. Chaz Mostert FPR Ford +1.3366s
4. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford +3.8229s
5. Lee Holdsworth Erebus Mercedes +6.2923s
6. Craig Lowndes Triple Eight Holden +6.5924s
7. Will Davison Erebus Mercedes +12.3628s
8. Todd Kelly Nissan +15.5891s
9. James Courtney HRT Holden +15.9581s
10. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford +16.1995s
11. Russell Ingall Dumbrell Holden +18.7677s
12. Jack Perkins Schwerkolt/FPR Ford +20.2930s
13. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden +21.2101s
14. David Wall Dick Johnson Ford +21.4916s
15. Garth Tander HRT Holden +21.7755s
16. Dale Wood Britek/BJR Holden +22.1717s
17. Jamie Whincup Triple Eight Holden +22.4603s
18. Scott Pye Dick Johnson Ford +22.7050s
19. Rick Kelly Nissan +28.0385s
20. Michael Caruso Nissan +28.5180s
21. James Moffat Nissan +28.7245s
22. Nick Percat Walkinshaw/HRT Holden +30.4438s
23. Tim Slade Rosenberg/HRT Holden +30.8831s
24. Robert Dahlgren GRM Volvo +33.8381s
25. Shane van Gisbergen Tekno Holden +39.5497s