Adrien Tambay secured the first pole position for the 2014 DTM season at Hockenheim.
The Abt Audi driver did enough to comfortably progress through the first two legs of qualifying, before storming to pole with a 1m32.272s best.
He did have to survive a late scare, though. Rookie Antonio Felix da Costa briefly popped up on top of the times inside the last minute, although the MTEK BMW driver's time was quickly deleted as he was judged to have run wide at the first corner.
Da Costa did manage to get another lap in, grabbing third on the grid, behind RMG BMW's Marco Wittmann - only for this lap to later be disallowed too.
Bruno Spengler made it three BMWs in the top four in the Schnitzer M4, ahead of the Abt Audi trio of Mattias Ekstrom, Miguel Molina and Edoardo Mortara.
Martin Tomzcyk, Timo Glock and Timo Scheider rounded out the top 10, while reigning champion and Scheider's team-mate Mike Rockenfeller qualified 11th.
For Mercedes, the session could not have gone much worse. The five cars tipped out of the session in Q1 were all Mercedes, with Paul di Resta, Dani Juncadella, Robert Wickens, Christian Vietoris and Vitaly Petrov holding up the bottom of the grid.
The HWA pairing of Gary Paffett and Pascal Wehrlein did manage to progress into the second session, but could still manage just 15th and 16th respectively on what was a disappointing day for the Three-Pointed Star.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi 1m32.272s
2. Marco Wittmann RMG BMW 1m32.419s +0.147s
3. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1m32.600s +0.328s
4. Antonio Felix da Costa MTEK BMW 1m32.608s +0.336s
5. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m32.624s +0.352s
6. Miguel Molina Abt Audi 1m32.787s +0.515s
7. Edoardo Mortara Abt Audi 1m32.898s +0.626s
8. Martin Tomczyk Schnitzer BMW 1m33.113s +0.841s
9. Timo Glock MTEK BMW 1m32.603s Q2
10. Timo Scheider Phoenix Audi 1m32.706s Q2
11. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi 1m32.717s Q2
12. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m32.739s Q2
13. Nico Muller Rosberg Audi 1m32.756s Q2
14. Maxime Martin RMG BMW 1m32.792s Q2
15. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m32.834s Q2
16. Pascal Wehrlein HWA Mercedes 1m32.840s Q2
17. Joey Hand RBM BMW 1m32.885s Q1
18. Jamie Green Rosberg Audi 1m32.986s Q1
19. Paul di Resta HWA Mercedes 1m33.639s Q1
20. Daniel Juncadella Mucke Mercedes 1m33.746s Q1
21. Robert Wickens HWA Mercedes 1m33.875s Q1
22. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes 1m34.242s Q1
23. Vitaly Petrov Mucke Mercedes 1m34.367s Q1