Lucas Auer will start the first Formula 3 European Championship race at Hockenheim from pole position.
The Mucke Motorsport driver had been sitting in second spot right up until the final minute of the session, before a 1m32.387s final lap secured pole position for Saturday's first race.
Auer's lap left practice pacesetter Antonio Giovinazzi second, the Carlin driver having set his best of a 1m32.505s four minutes from the end of the session.
His Carlin stable-mate Ed Jones was third, less than four hundredths behind.
Max Verstappen and Esteban Ocon finished fourth and fifth respectively, just 0.002s separating the rookies at the end of the session, while Tom Blomqvist, who was on pole for the season opener at Silverstone a fortnight ago, completed out the third row of the grid.
Nicholas Latifi was seventh, ahead of pre-season favourite Felix Rosenqvist, the Mucke driver's tough start to the season continuing as he could only manage eighth on the grid at a circuit he usually excels at.
John Bryant-Meisner and Jordan King rounded out the top 10.
The surprise result of the session was Antonio Fuoco. The race three winner from Silverstone could manage just 18th on the grid, having sat outside the top 20 until his very last lap.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Lucas Auer Mucke Dallara-Merc 1m32.387s
2. Antonio Giovinazzi Carlin Dallara-VW 1m32.505s +0.118s
3. Ed Jones Carlin Dallara-VW 1m32.547s +0.160s
4. Max Verstappen Van Amersfoort Dallara-VW 1m32.586s +0.199s
5. Esteban Ocon Prema Dallara-Merc 1m32.588s +0.201s
6. Tom Blomqvist Carlin Dallara-VW 1m32.602s +0.215s
7. Nicholas Latifi Prema Dallara-Merc 1m32.634s +0.247s
8. Felix Rosenqvist Mucke Dallara-Merc 1m32.688s +0.301s
9. John Bryant-Meisner Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m32.708s +0.321s
10. Jordan King Carlin Dallara-VW 1m32.740s +0.353s
11. Jake Dennis Carlin Dallara-VW 1m32.786s +0.399s
12. Mitchell Gilbert Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m32.860s +0.473s
13. Felix Serralles West-Tec Dallara-Merc 1m32.990s +0.603s
14. Jules Szymkowiak Van Amersfoort Dallara-VW 1m33.041s +0.654s
15. Dennis van de Laar Prema Dallara-Merc 1m33.042s +0.655s
16. Spike Goddard T-Sport Dallara-NBE 1m33.183s +0.796s
17. Tatiana Calderon Jo Zeller Dallara-Merc 1m33.183s +0.796s
18. Antonio Fuoco Prema Dallara-Merc 1m33.233s +0.846s
19. Riccardo Agostini Eurointernational Dallara-Merc 1m33.236s +0.849s
20. Alexander Toril T-Sport Dallara-NBE 1m33.252s +0.865s
21. Roy Nissany Mucke Dallara-Merc 1m33.278s +0.891s
22. Gustavo Menezes Van Amersfoort Dallara-VW 1m33.316s +0.929s
23. Sean Gelael Carlin Dallara-VW 1m33.496s +1.109s
24. Felipe Guimaraes Double R Dallara-Merc 1m33.780s +1.393s
25. Michele Beretta Eurointernational Dallara-Merc 1m33.876s +1.489s
26. Hector Hurst West-Tec Dallara-Merc 1m34.022s +1.635s
27. Sandro Zeller Jo Zeller Dallara-Merc 1m34.074s +1.687s