Sordo hopes Portugal form gets him Hyundai WRC drive for Argentina
|By David Evans||Tuesday, April 8th 2014, 10:08 GMT|
Dani Sordo is hoping his strong Rally of Portugal showing will earn him a place in Hyundai's line-up for the next World Rally Championship round in Argentina.
Entries for the South American event close on Tuesday.
Hyundai had announced that Juho Hanninen will partner Thierry Neuville in Argentina next month, but in the wake of Sordo's rally-leading pace in Portugal, the team is reconsidering its approach.
Sordo scored the i20 WRC's first fastest stage time on the Algarve last week.
"I don't know why I'm not going to Argentina - I have a lot of experience there and a lot of fans," said Sordo.
"You need to ask the team. For me, I want to do more, but it's not my decision.
"I was happy [in Portugal]. I hope I can do more, but at the moment my next event is Germany."
Hyundai team manager Michael Nandan admitted a switch was possible, saying Sordo's poor 2013 gravel form with Citroen had prompted his conservative initial schedule.
"We announced Juho in the press release [for Argentina] but entries close on Tuesday," Nandan said.
"We have to see what is possible, maybe the logistics are too complicated. We will see.
"We brought Dani [to Portugal] to see if he was still competitive on gravel, because last year he thought he forgot how to do this.
"It made sense to give him a rally to prove himself and to get his own confidence.
"I think we have succeeded in that and we will look at the possibilities for him driving on gravel again, but at the moment it's too early to say something."
Sordo retired with mechanical failure for the second event in succession last week.
An alternator problem ruled him out of third place in Monte Carlo and a broken driveshaft put paid to a possible fourth in Portugal.