Formula 1 could have two new teams in 2015 - Bernie Ecclestone
|By Jonathan Noble||Sunday, April 6th 2014, 10:33 GMT|
Formula 1 could have two new teams in 2015, the sport's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone has suggested.
Although the FIA has still yet to confirm whether it has approved any of the contenders for a vacant slot on the grid, Ecclestone revealed on Sunday that more than one team could now be given the nod.
It is already widely known that an American outfit being put together by Gene Haas has been in an advanced state of negotiations with the FIA.
But another team, believed to be led by former F1 team boss Colin Kolles, is also understood to be considering an entry.
Ecclestone said on Sunday that Haas had been accepted and that he had also discussed with FIA president Jean Todt about allowing a 13th team in.
"They will be accepted," he said about the Haas entry. "We have also accepted another team as well. Whether they will make it or not is another story.
"We are happy to have another couple of teams. I have spoken to Jean Todt and we agreed yesterday that if another two teams want to come in we will let them in."