Jason Plato topped the first British Touring Car session of the 2014 season at Brands Hatch, which was affected by a pitlane incident.
Plato moved to the top of the times after a red flag, caused when Rob Collard's WSR engineer Craig Parley appeared to fall off the pitwall.
He was taken away in an ambulance, but is believed to have suffered injuries no worse than a dislocated knee.
Colin Turkington lifted the WSR squad in the final 15 minutes by snatching second, but could not better Plato's 48.354s. That was a fraction faster than Andrew Jordan's pole time from 2013.
Reigning champion Jordan had set the early pace, once drivers started setting competitive times, and ended up third.
BTCC 2014: Why it will be unmissable
Matt Neal improved late on in the new Honda Civic Tourer, making it four former champions in the top four.
Best of the rest was Adam Morgan's new Mercedes A-class, which was up near the top of the timesheets throughout the session.
Ex-champions Alain Menu (BMR VW Passat) and Gordon Shedden (Civic Tourer) also made it into the top 10, but Motorbase struggled. Both Mat Jackson and 2007/08 champion Fabrizio Giovanardi ended up in the teens, while BTCC rookie Jack Clarke was 24th.
With Dan Welch's Proton not being ready in time and the sister car of Ollie Jackson hitting trouble, 29 cars took to the track. The top 22 were covered by one second.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jason Plato MG 48.354s
2. Colin Turkington WSR BMW 48.530s +0.176s
3. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 48.557s +0.203s
4. Matt Neal Honda 48.627s +0.273s
5. Adam Morgan Ciceley Mercedes 48.684s +0.330s
6. Aron Smith BMR VW 48.783s +0.429s
7. Rob Collard WSR BMW 48.787s +0.433s
8. Sam Tordoff MG 48.809s +0.455s
9. Gordon Shedden Honda 48.865s +0.511s
10. Alain Menu BMR VW 48.884s +0.530s
11. Rob Austin RAR Audi 48.937s +0.583s
12. Jack Goff BMR Vauxhall 48.957s +0.603s
13. Tom Ingram Speedworks Toyota 48.962s +0.608s
14. Warren Scott BMR Vauxhall 49.053s +0.699s
15. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 49.067s +0.713s
16. Fabrizio Giovanardi Motorbase Ford 49.111s +0.757s
17. Nick Foster WSR BMW 49.117s +0.763s
18. Marc Hynes MG 49.178s +0.824s
19. Glynn Geddie UA Toyota 49.195s +0.841s
20. Hunter Abbott RAR Audi 49.263s +0.909s
21. James Cole UA Toyota 49.282s +0.928s
22. Martin Depper Eurotech Honda 49.343s +0.989s
23. Dave Newsham AmD Ford 49.534s +1.180s
24. Jack Clarke Motorbase Ford 49.592s +1.238s
25. Robb Holland Rotek Audi 49.914s +1.560s
26. Simon Belcher Speedworks Toyota 50.142s +1.788s
27. Lea Wood Houseman Toyota 50.190s +1.836s
28. Aiden Moffat Moffat Chevrolet 51.455s +3.101s
29. Chris Stockton BTC Chevrolet 1m44.644s +56.290s