Aleix Espargaro maintained his remarkable start to the 2014 season by once again heading the field in second practice for the Qatar Grand Prix.
The 24-year-old, who went fastest in yesterday's first session, once again spent the majority of the session at the top of the timesheets.
While his halfway mark would not be beaten, he ended the session in emphatic style by breaking through the 1m55s barrier for the first time this weekend.
Espargaro ready to take on Factory outfits for outright win
That left him three tenths clear of Andrea Dovizioso and Alvaro Bautista, and little more than two tenths of a second off Jorge Lorenzo's 2013 pole time.
The latter Spaniard once again struggled, and could be seen frequently complaining about his bike's traction - an issue that has plagued the two-time champion throughout the pre-season.
He ended the session 11th overall, two spots behind team-mate Rossi, and more than one second off the outright pace.
MotoGP 2014: The key storylines
Honda's Factory duo fared better, with Dani Pedrosa fourth and Marc Marquez - who had to save one near-fall - fifth.
Bradley Smith and Pol Espargaro secured sixth and eighth respectively for the satellite Tech 3 Yamaha outfit, sandwiching LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl.
The younger Espargaro suffered a nasty fall exiting Turn 9, but was able to return immediately on his second bike and even briefly held top spot, before falling down the order as other improved.
Both Aleix Espargaro and Dovizioso set their fastest times on the soft compound unavailable to Factory entries.
While that tyre's impact will be limited in the race - it falls away after a handful of laps - it suggests the non-Factory squads have a genuine chance of pole in qualifying on Saturday.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap Laps
1. Aleix Espargaro Forward Yamaha 1m54.989s 13
2. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m55.320s +0.331s 16
3. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m55.446s +0.457s 17
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m55.562s +0.573s 18
5. Marc Marquez Honda 1m55.607s +0.618s 16
6. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m55.650s +0.661s 18
7. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m55.856s +0.867s 17
8. Pol Espargaro Tech 3 Yamaha 1m55.913s +0.924s 15
9. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m55.984s +0.995s 18
10. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m56.006s +1.017s 17
11. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m56.172s +1.183s 17
12. Colin Edwards Forward Yamaha 1m56.238s +1.249s 16
13. Cal Crutchlow Ducati 1m56.720s +1.731s 16
14. Nicky Hayden Aspar Honda 1m57.006s +2.017s 14
15. Yonny Hernandez Pramac Ducati 1m57.119s +2.130s 14
16. Scott Redding Gresini Honda 1m57.296s +2.307s 15
17. Karel Abraham Cardion Honda 1m57.368s +2.379s 13
18. Hiroshi Aoyama Aspar Honda 1m57.634s +2.645s 19
19. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m58.290s +3.301s 12
20. Mike di Meglio Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m58.410s +3.421s 13
21. Broc Parkes PBM Aprilia 1m58.436s +3.447s 12
22. Danilo Petrucci Ioda Aprilia 1m59.078s +4.089s 15
23. Michael Laverty PBM Aprilia 1m59.646s +4.657s 10