Rahal IndyCar team unlikely to run third car at Indianapolis 500
|By Mark Glendenning||Saturday, March 8th 2014, 10:20 GMT|
IndyCar outfit Rahal Letterman Lanigan is unlikely to run a third car at this year's Indianapolis 500.
The team failed to get its third entry for Michel Jourdain Jr into the field at last year's race, with the Mexican veteran (pictured) the sole entry bumped from the 2013 field.
Driver Graham Rahal said that the lessons learned from the experience meant that the team is likely to focus its efforts on its two main cars this time around.
"I would think that [two cars are] going to be it for now, but you ought to ask dad [team co-owner Bobby Rahal] and see what his plans are," Rahal said.
"We as a team learned last year that running three isn't the wisest thing. But you never know. Our focus is doing the best we can for the National Guard.
"We're not going to do anything to dilute that programme or make it any worse. We need to make sure that we have everybody within the organisation focused on Oriol [Servia] and myself and doing the best we possibly can."
Servia was announced as the team's second driver earlier this week, albeit on a limited schedule.
Even if RLL only runs its two main cars, IndyCar remains confident that the traditional 33-car grid will be filled for this year's edition of the race.
"I think there's enough interest out there from the teams," said Derrick Walker, IndyCar president of operations and competition. "I don't see that as being an issue at this point.
"There are still plenty of good drivers and cars and plans afoot that I think we're going to be okay there."