Memo Gidley's team withdraws from 2014 USC in wake of Daytona crash
|Monday, February 24th 2014, 17:19 GMT|
The GAINSCO/Bob Stallings team has withdrawn from this year's United SportsCar Championship in the wake of Memo Gidley's serious accident in the Daytona 24 Hours last month.
The Texas-based squad, which won the Grand-Am Daytona Prototype championship in 2007 and '09, has opted to suspend its campaign on the USC enduros because of the "personal and economic strain" put on the team by the accident.
Team boss Bob Stallings said: "Even though Memo has a long road ahead, the worst is behind him, and it has allowed us to step back and take a look at the programme at large.
"We feel it's in the best interest of everyone to sit out this year, with a firm focus on a return in 2015."
The team's Riley-Chevrolet Corvette DP was destroyed in the incident that hospitalised Gidley with back, leg and arm injuries.
The statement said that GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing would be evaluating its options for next season.
Regular drivers Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty, as well as the crew, have been released from their contracts to allow them to take up other opportunities.