NASCAR could limit Cup racers' Nationwide and Truck outings
|Monday, February 24th 2014, 17:15 GMT|
NASCAR is considering limiting the number of second and third tier races that Sprint Cup drivers can participate in.
Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR vice-president of racing operations, told the Associated Press that concern from fans about the dominance of Cup drivers in Nationwide and Truck events had alerted him to the fact that the issue needs to be examined.
"We're definitely aware of the fan messaging we get," O'Donnell said.
"There's a balance, especially talking to the tracks, of having a Cup driver or two in the Trucks or Nationwide.
"We have had discussions with the race teams about ownership and should Cup drivers get points, and we've looked at [whether they] should be limited in the number of races.
"It's something we are really studying."
Kyle Busch earned his 99th career win across Nationwide and Trucks last week when he made a late pass to claim the Truck victory at Daytona.
He and fellow Cup regular Brad Keselowski are Truck team owners, while Dale Earnhardt Jr owns a Nationwide entry.
Since 2011 NASCAR drivers have been forced to nominate one series for which they will be eligible to earn championship points; a change that was introduced after five consecutive Nationwide titles were won by full-time Cup drivers.