Honda reveals first images of WTCC Civic
|By Sam Tremayne||Friday, February 7th 2014, 12:01 GMT|
Honda has revealed the first images of the Civic with which it will take on Citroen, Lada and Chevrolet in this year's World Touring Car Championship.
The Japanese manufacturer had published a digital image of its new WTCC challenger, built to the series' 2014 regulations, at the end of 2013.
It has now taken the wraps off its new challenger following a first test at Aragon, Spain, earlier this year.
Honda, which won the 2013 constructors' championship, will once run Gabriele Tarquini and Tiago Monteiro for a two-car factory effort.
Privateer outfit Zengo will likewise stay on with Norbert Michelisz, although a fourth car has been added for Proteam Racing and its Moroccan driver Mehdi Bennani.
At Honda's annual motorsport press conference, held today in Tokyo, Honda Motor Co president Takanobu Ito outlined the team's 2014 ambitions.
"We achieved four victories and captured the manufacturer's title last season in the WTCC, which was our first year of full-participation," he said.
"In this season, we will strive to win the double title for driver's and manufacturer's with a total of four machines, including a works team and two private teams."
Honda's toughest test is likely to come from Citroen, which has tested its C-Elysee numerous times already, including a five-day run in Abu Dhabi last month.
William de Braekeleer, Honda's motorsport manager, conceded that Citroen could have an early advantage as a result, but said he was confident of clawing back the French manufacturer.