Mercedes F1 team eyes reserve role for Paul di Resta
|By Glenn Freeman||Tuesday, January 21st 2014, 09:08 GMT|
Paul di Resta is closing on a Formula 1 reserve driver role with Mercedes for 2014 following his deal to race for the manufacturer in the DTM.
AUTOSPORT understands that the ex-Force India driver is likely to combine his DTM race programme with an F1 reserve deal to help keep him in the frame for grand prix opportunities in the future.
Di Resta denied that any agreement had been signed, but he hinted that he would like to combine the two roles this season.
When asked if he felt that his F1 career was over, di Resta told AUTOSPORT: "No, definitely not.
"I'm sad to go but I've had three tremendous years and I'm not leaving because I didn't perform, there are other issues.
"I'm still young enough that I can get back in there if the opportunity comes up.
"Racing in the DTM makes sense, and it lets me combine something with F1 and keep my foot in the door should something come up."
Di Resta added that while he is fully committed to his DTM programme, he believes Mercedes understands his desire to remain in the F1 paddock.
"I think Mercedes are well aware that that's where I want to be, and I have their full support," he said.
"I'm keen to stay involved in F1, and I think I can bring things to a team because I've got the experience of being there.
"We'll see how it goes, but at the moment there is nothing.
"I need to concentrate on DTM first, get this rolling and then we'll explore opportunities."