Sergio Perez confident Mexico F1 GP will happen in 2015
|By Edd Straw and Jonathan Noble||Thursday, December 5th 2013, 15:16 GMT|
Sergio Perez is confident his country will be able to return to the Formula 1 calendar in 2015.
As expected, the Mexican Grand Prix has dropped off the final calendar, which was ratified by the FIA World Motor Sport Council yesterday.
"I was expecting it, so I am not that disappointing," he said when asked about the future of the race before the calendar was announced.
"But I believe that 2015 it can really happen.
"We are a lot closer right now than we were a couple of months ago. I have big hopes that 2015 can be when Mexico will happen.
Earlier in the season, Perez suggested that the success of Mexican drivers in F1 would be key to the race happening.
While he has lost his McLaren seat, he is expected to drive for Force India alongside Nico Hulkenberg next year, and being dropped by one of F1's leading teams has not played a part in the delay in Mexico's return to the calendar.
Perez had high hopes of picking up some big results during 2013 and even talked of fighting for the world championship.
But even though his best finish was fifth as the team produced an uncompetitive car, he insists that he did not underestimate the level of expectation at McLaren.
"I knew that I was coming to one f the biggest teams in the sport and the amount of pressure that was going to be on my shoulders was going to be bigger," he said.
"As people know, I came here probably at the worst time so it has been even more difficult because they came from a great deal last year.
"It has been quite a struggle."