Dario Franchitti leaves Houston hospital after IndyCar crash
|By Mark Glendenning||Thursday, October 10th 2013, 19:26 GMT|
Dario Franchitti has been released from the hospital where he was recovering from injuries sustained in a last-lap crash in Sunday's IndyCar race in Houston.
He will be transferred to Indianapolis for the next stage of his treatment.
The Scot suffered concussion, two fractured vertebra and a fractured right ankle in the crash.
He underwent surgery to stabilise the ankle earlier in the week, and a Ganassi team statement said that he will be re-evaluated over the coming days ahead of a second procedure on the ankle.
Although he is expected to make a full recovery, no timeframe has been given for a possible return to the cockpit.
Alex Tagliani has been recruited by Ganassi to drive its #10 entry in next weekend's season finale at Fontana.
"I'm overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and I'm thankful to have such a great family and such wonderful friends and fans," Franchitti said in the statement.
"Thanks to everyone at the hospital and the track who took such good care of me during my stay in Houston.
"I look forward to watching Scott [Dixon], Alex and the team next weekend on television, and will be pulling for them as they go for another championship."