Nicholas Latifi took two pole positions for this weekend's British Formula 3 International Series round at Spa.
Latifi, on his first visit to the Belgian circuit, jumped to the top of the times on his second set of tyres, leapfrogging midway leader Jordan King.
Montreal-born Latifi, who has lived in Ontario most of his life and is of Iranian-Italian heritage, was delighted to head a qualifying session for the first time in his racing career.
Although the International Class field is only eight-strong, his time would have put him fifth on the grid among the 29-car entry last year.
"I kind of confused myself," he said. "I was in the 2m16s on my first run, and thought I could improve a bit. I crossed the line and saw a 2m15s and couldn't remember if that was what I'd done earlier, and thought I had to find a bit more! But I'm kind of happy - big thanks to the team."
King was briefly shuffled down to third but bounced back at the end to wrest second from Jann Mardenborough, as Carlin's trio of Dallara-Volkswagens monopolised the front of the field. The threesome will start in the same order for races one and three.
Next up was Double R Racing's Antonio Giovinazzi, who headed Felipe Guimaraes and Tatiana Calderon. Guimaraes jumps to fourth on second-best times, which form the grid for race one.
Championship leader Will Buller was a disappointed seventh in his Fortec Motorsport car, just edging out Sean Gelael.
"I've had a brake problem all day and we still haven't got it sorted," said Buller, who was sixth on second-best times. "I'm really struggling."
CF Racing's Sun Zheng continued to dominate the National Class.
Race one grid:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Nicholas Latifi Carlin Dallara-VW 2m15.611s
2. Jordan King Carlin Dallara-VW 2m16.251s +0.640s
3. Jann Mardenborough Carlin Dallara-VW 2m16.340s +0.729s
4. Felipe Guimaraes Fortec Dallara-Merc 2m16.631s +1.020s
5. Antonio Giovinazzi Double R Dallara-Merc 2m16.641s +1.030s
6. Will Buller Fortec Dallara-Merc 2m17.793s +2.182s
7. Sean Gelael Double R Dallara-Merc 2m18.102s +2.491s
8. Tatiana Calderon Double R Dallara-Merc 2m18.251s +2.640s
9. Zheng Sun CF Dallara-Mugen 2m19.605s +3.994s
10. Jordan Oon West-Tec Dallara-Toyota 2m21.403s +5.792s
11. Chris Vlok West-Tec Dallara-Toyota 2m22.795s +7.184s
Race three grid:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Nicholas Latifi Carlin Dallara-VW 2m15.542s
2. Jordan King Carlin Dallara-VW 2m15.865s +0.323s
3. Jann Mardenborough Carlin Dallara-VW 2m15.972s +0.430s
4. Antonio Giovinazzi Double R Dallara-Merc 2m16.372s +0.830s
5. Felipe Guimaraes Fortec Dallara-Merc 2m16.630s +1.088s
6. Tatiana Calderon Double R Dallara-Merc 2m17.569s +2.027s
7. Will Buller Fortec Dallara-Merc 2m17.672s +2.130s
8. Sean Gelael Double R Dallara-Merc 2m17.695s +2.153s
9. Zheng Sun CF Dallara-Mugen 2m18.832s +3.290s
10. Jordan Oon West-Tec Dallara-Toyota 2m21.290s +5.748s
11. Chris Vlok West-Tec Dallara-Toyota 2m22.728s +7.186s