Surfers Paradise extends V8 Supercars deal for three years
|Tuesday, July 23rd 2013, 10:17 GMT|
Surfers Paradise will remain on the V8 Supercars calendar for at least three more years after Queensland's state government extended its current deal to 2016.
The Gold Coast event has been part of the V8 schedule for more than two decades, and for the past three years has been run as an invitational race with V8 regulars partnering international drivers.
Last year Sebastien Bourdais, Simon Pagenaud, Darren Turner, Richard Westbrook, Oliver Gavin, Vitantonio Luizzi and Andy Priaulx were among those who competed.
Alongside Surfers, Townsville and Queensland Raceway's deals have also been extended to 2016 in a deal state premier Campbell Newman said confirmed the economic and cultural benefits of V8s.
"This is great news for tourism in Queensland and for motorsport fans across the state, providing a boost to the economy and community as well as showcasing Queensland's destinations" Newman said.
"Today's agreement with V8 Supercars supports our vision that tourism is one of the four pillars of the Queensland economy and adds to a growing calendar of sporting, arts and regional events."
V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton added that he was delighted to formally extend a relationship with the Queensland Government.
"Queensland is vital to V8 Supercars," Warburton said. "The Gold Coast is the home of our company headquarters, and South East Queensland is a major hub for our teams.
"In 2016 we will mark a quarter of a century of the iconic Gold Coast event - 25 years of amazing history and success.
"I congratulate all who have been involved, some of them every single year, in the Coast's largest annual event of any kind."