Toronto IndyCar: Dario Franchitti gets third back as penalty deleted
|By Mark Glendenning||Sunday, July 14th 2013, 09:52 GMT|
Dario Franchitti has been restored to third place for Sunday's IndyCar race in Toronto after series officials rescinded his post-race penalty for blocking Will Power.
The Ganassi driver was issued a 25-second penalty for impeding Power on the final lap of race one; a result that dropped the Franchitti to 13th and promoted Marco Andretti onto the podium.
Franchitti reacted angrily to news of the penalty.
"I moved to the inside and stayed there," he said. "There was not a car width [for Power] to go through there. Will comes steaming down, hits the wall, hits me, and crashes.
"I don't understand how that's my fault. It's a ridiculous decision. I really question sometimes what race control are doing."
The evidence appeared to support Franchitti's stance, with the series issuing a bulletin an hour after the race confirming that his third place had been reinstated.
"After the race, IndyCar officials met with Dario Franchitti and Target Chip Ganassi Racing team members to further review the blocking penalty issued on the final lap of today's Honda Indy Toronto," said the statement.
"The team presented car data showing steering trace and braking points from the lap 85 incident with the #12 car driven by Will Power. The group also viewed additional video.
"Upon further review, IndyCar has reinstated #10 Franchitti to his original third place finishing position."
IndyCar president of race operations Brian Barnhart is serving as race director in Toronto this weekend, with regular race director Beaux Barfield absent for personal reasons.