Stefan Bradl led a Honda top-three lockout in a second MotoGP Sachsenring practice session marred by a huge accident for the already injured Jorge Lorenzo.
The Spaniard carried on his morning momentum to put Yamaha top early on, but just three minutes in he was flicked off his bike at Turn 10 and landed on the left collarbone he broke at Assen.
He spent the remainder of the session in the medical centre undergoing checks. No information about his condition has yet been released.
Cal Crutchlow also crashed heavily, losing the front of his Tech 3 Yamaha on a bump just before the apex of the downhill Turn 11.
He was sent flying through the gravel and, after his won trip to the medical centre, did not head back out.
In the pair's absence, the pace was set by home favourite Stefan Bradl on the satellite LCR Honda.
Works rider Dani Pedrosa snatched second from stable-mate Marc Marquez as the chequered flag fell.
Lorenzo meanwhile was fourth fastest, just one thousandth of a second slower than Marquez and within 0.25s of Bradl.
His Yamaha team-mate Valentino Rossi, who triumphed last time out in the Dutch TT, was fifth ahead of Nicky Hayden, Aleix Espargaro and Andrea Dovizioso.
Hayden, who saved a massive tank-slapper in FP1, made another remarkable recovery to prevent crashing early on at Turn 9.
His clean run came to an end late on however when he lost his Ducati at Turn 3, mirroring Bryan Staring's earlier off at the same corner.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m22.030s 23
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m22.239s +0.209s 25
3. Marc Marquez Honda 1m22.251s +0.221s 23
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m22.252s +0.222s 3
5. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m22.395s +0.365s 24
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m22.572s +0.542s 19
7. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m22.763s +0.733s 20
8. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m22.850s +0.820s 22
9. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m22.976s +0.946s 23
10. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m23.008s +0.978s 22
11. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.040s +1.010s 24
12. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m23.255s +1.225s 25
13. Michele Pirro Pramac Ducati 1m23.491s +1.461s 19
14. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 1m23.524s +1.494s 22
15. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m23.627s +1.597s 24
16. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 1m23.636s +1.606s 22
17. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m23.866s +1.836s 26
18. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m23.911s +1.881s 24
19. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.932s +1.902s 6
20. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m24.078s +2.048s 23
21. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m24.647s +2.617s 24
22. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 1m24.862s +2.832s 21
23. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m25.568s +3.538s 23