Ferrari won't rush decision on 2014 F1 line-up, says di Montezemolo
|Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 16:35 GMT|
Ferrari will not hurry a decision on who lines up alongside Fernando Alonso for the 2014 Formula 1 season, president Luca di Montezemolo insists.
While Alonso came within four points of securing last year's world championship, and is in contention once again this season, team-mate Felipe Massa's form has fluctuated wildly.
The Brazilian, whose contracts runs to the end of 2013, has fallen 66 points behind Alonso after struggling in recent grands prix.
His last top-five finish came in May at Barcelona, when he scored only his third rostrum in the past three years.
While Massa's recent downturn is a cause for concern for Ferrari, di Montezemolo - who has long been a staunch supporter of Massa - insists the Scuderia will not act rashly.
"The future? We will talk about that further down the line as there's no hurry," he said.
"I hope he will soon secure the results that will show his talent to the full, such as the great starts he pulled off at the last two grands prix."
Di Montezemolo also reiterated team principal Stefano Domenicali's unequivocal support for Massa, adding: "Felipe is fully aware he can count on our total confidence in him."