AF Corse Ferrari gives Toni Vilander for full-time WEC drive
|By Gary Watkins||Thursday, March 21st 2013, 10:08 GMT|
Ferrari factory driver Toni Vilander, who won the GTE Pro class at last year's Le Mans 24 Hours, will race full-time in the World Endurance Championship with the AF Corse squad in 2013.
The Finn has been brought in after a reshuffle of the line-up at the official Ferrari team, which has included the arrival of former grand prix driver Kamui Kobayashi.
Vilander's main programme with AF in 2012 was in the GT1 World Championship. He also contested the Le Mans, Sebring and Bahrain WEC rounds with the team.
"Being with Ferrari and AF for so long, I always know they will find the best programme for me," Vilander said.
"I never really felt out of it last year, because I did three races, but being focused on the world championship will be good."
The confirmation of Vilander means that there is no full-time place in the Ferrari line-up for either ex-Formula 1 driver Karun Chandhok or former GP2 frontrunner Luca Filippi, who were given a try-outs by the Italian manufacturer at Aragon last month.
AF has now confirmed the four drivers who will form its full-time line-up for the WEC, but it has yet to decide how Vilander, Kobayashi, Gianmaria Bruni and Giancarlo Fisichella will be paired in the team's two Ferrari 458 Italias.
Team boss Amato Ferrari sadi: "We haven't decided how we will split the drivers. We will decide at the end of this week."
Ferrari said there were also no decisions on the identity of the third drivers in the two cars for Le Mans. Potentials include Andrea Bertolini and Olivier Beretta, who raced with AF last year and remain on the books at Ferrari.