autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Marussia seeking new engine supplier for 2014 to replace Cosworth

Max Chilton, Marussia, Barcelona F1 testing, February 2013Marussia has confirmed that it is on the lookout for a new engine partner for next year, after revealing that it expects Cosworth to pull out of Formula 1 at the end of 2013.

The Banbury-based outfit is the only Cosworth representative on the grid, and there had been questions about whether or not its Northamptonshire-based engine partner would prepare a power unit for the new 2014 regulations.

Speaking at the FOTA Fans' Forum in Barcelona on Wednesday night, Marussia sporting director Graeme Lowdon said he believed that Cosworth would not be building a V6 turbo.

"My understanding is that Cosworth won't be making a 2014 engine," said Lowdon.

"Obviously I don't work for Cosworth, but that is my understanding. The three suppliers will be Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari."

Marussia is not the only team that faces an uncertain engine future, with a number of teams - including Sauber and Force India - not yet confirming who their engine partners will be.

Toro Rosso is expected to switch to Renault, even though earlier this week the French car manufacturer's engine chief Jean-Michel Jalinier mooted a reduction in its customer list.

"To me, five should be really a max and, if we go back from four to three, I will be happy," he said.

"We were very comfortable with three [teams] in terms of assistance and doing our job properly."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
Haymarket