Mike Conway is set to make his IndyCar return at the Long Beach round in April after signing a one-race deal with Rahal Letterman Lanigan.
Conway, who claimed his only IndyCar victory at the Californian street track with Andretti Autosport in 2011, will drive RLL's second entry alongside full-timer Graham Rahal.
The Briton stepped away from the series immediately prior to last year's season-finale at Fontana after deciding that he was no longer comfortable racing on ovals.
He told AUTOSPORT at the time that his aim was to find a deal that would allow him to continue to compete on street courses.
"I am really pleased to welcome Mike to the team," said team co-owner Bobby Rahal. "In 2011, we were really working hard to get him into the team but it didn't work out. Fortunately we are able to do so now.
"Mike is a very good driver and I think he will be very competitive in our environment. He and Graham get along well, so it's a real one-two punch for us."
The team said that it is hoping to schedule a test for Conway prior to his Long Beach outing.
Rahal will take the wheel for the team's first test of 2013 at Sebring on February 19.