Shane van Gisbergen backtracks on quitting V8 Supercars
|By Matt Beer||Wednesday, January 23rd 2013, 09:29 GMT|
V8 Supercars race-winner Shane van Gisbergen has reversed his decision to leave the series and signed for the Tekno team for 2013.
Van Gisbergen shocked the sport last winter when he announced that he was walking away for "personal reasons", leaving his seat at Stone Brothers.
The 23-year-old said he had only wanted to take a break rather than to retire, and now felt ready to come back having not missed any races.
"Towards the end of last year, I started to lose motivation," said van Gisbergen.
"The environment wasn't right and I was struggling to remember why I was racing - it wasn't a great mindset to be in, so I made the decision to take a break.
"I spent six weeks back home and was able to recharge my batteries. I had a good hard think about my career and considered my options.
"I was never retired, retirement is final and that was never my consideration. I said I was leaving the sport for a bit. I've considered my options and this is the next chapter in my career."
Van Gisbergen's former team Stone Brothers has been taken over by Erebus and will switch from Ford to an AMG Mercedes project this season.