Gerhard Berger denies he could replace Norbert Haug at Mercedes
|By Jamie O'Leary and Jonathan Noble||Thursday, December 20th 2012, 11:03 GMT|
Gerhard Berger has dismissed speculation that he could replace Norbert Haug as the head of Mercedes-Benz's motorsport activities.
With no decision yet taken about a potential replacement, there have been rumours that Berger could get involved.
The Austrian, who in recent years held senior positions in F1 as joint motorsport boss at BMW and then co-owner of Toro Rosso, is currently the head of the FIA's single-seater commission.
Speaking to AUTOSPORT about his plans, Berger insisted that any talk that he was in the frame for a role at Mercedes was wide of the mark.
"Absolutely not," he said. "There have been no discussions at all."
Haug will step down from his role at the end of this year. Speaking to AUTOSPORT earlier this week, Haug said that he was not aware of any plans and would not be involved in those discussions.
"I do not know about that," he said. "It is not my position to judge that, and this will be done by the board."
It is possible that Mercedes may choose to split Haug's current role up, with separate individuals in charge of the German car manufacturer's F1 and DTM activities.
Former CART boss Andrew Craig has also dismissed speculation linking him to a Mercedes role.