Kevin Magnussen set the pace on the first day of Formula Renault 3.5 testing at Aragon on Wednesday.
The McLaren Formula 1 test driver, who finished seventh in the FR3.5 championship this year with Carlin, was back in action with DAMS for the second time this winter.
Magnussen set the quickest time of the day in the final hour, as he, Italian F3 champion Riccardo Agostini and Will Stevens knocked Carlos Sainz Jr off the top of the timesheets.
Sainz, who only ran for the afternoon session, was in action for new team AV Formula, which has replaced Team RFR for the winter tests with a view to joining the championship next year.
Next up was Formula Renault ALPS champion Daniil Kvyat. The Red Bull-backed Russian was in action for Arden Caterham, and he had Macau Grand Prix winner Antonio Felix da Costa on hand to offer advice.
Sixth quickest Norman Nato made sure three of the drivers getting 'prize' tests for their achievements in other junior categories were in the top six on the first day of the test, which continues on Thursday and Friday.
This year's champion Robin Frijns was testing a 2013 development car for the series organisers. He was not timed.
Day one times:
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Kevin Magnussen DAMS 1m39.915s
2. Riccardo Agostini Draco 1m40.349s + 0.434s
3. Will Stevens P1 1m40.371s + 0.456s
4. Carlos Sainz Jr AV 1m40.433s + 0.518s
5. Daniil Kvyat Arden Caterham 1m40.453s + 0.538s
6. Norman Nato Tech 1 1m40.540s + 0.625s
7. Sergey Sirotkin ISR/Tech 1m40.561s + 0.646s
8. Raffaele Marciello Fortec 1m40.703s + 0.788s
9. Carlos Huertas Carlin 1m40.762s + 0.847s
10. Nikolay Martsenko Fortec 1m40.868s + 0.953s
11. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m40.897s + 0.982s
12. Yann Cunha AV 1m40.987s + 1.072s
13. Gianmarco Raimondo Draco 1m40.997s + 1.082s
14. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m41.042s + 1.127s
15. Paul-Loup Chatin Tech 1/Comtec 1m41.070s + 1.155s
16. Lucas Foresti Comtec 1m41.075s + 1.160s
17. Oliver Rowland P1 1m41.241s + 1.326s
18. Luciano Bacheta Pons 1m41.273s + 1.358s
19. Pietro Fantin Lotus 1m41.276s + 1.361s
20. Stoffel Vandoorne DAMS 1m41.321s + 1.406s
21. Jack Harvey Carlin 1m41.389s + 1.439s
22. Josh Hill ISR 1m41.606s + 1.474s
23. Jake Dennis Lotus 1m41.652s + 1.737s
24. Niccolo Schiro AV 1m41.762s + 1.847s
25. Will Buller Comtec 1m41.852s + 1.937s
26. Jimmy Eriksson ISR 1m42.217s + 2.302s
27. Jordan King BVM Target 1m42.387s + 2.472s
28. Matias Laine Arden Caterham 1m42.541s + 2.626s