V8 Supercars Abu Dhabi: Jamie Whincup makes it two wins in a day
|By Edd Straw
||Saturday, November 3rd 2012, 09:19 GMT
Jamie Whincup made it a V8 Supercar double with his second victory of the weekend at Yas Marina on Saturday.
As he had done in the opening race of the triple-header, Whincup made a better getaway then pole position man Will Davison's Ford Performance Racing Falcon to lead comfortably into the first corner.
Despite Davison pressuring him in the early stages of the race, Triple 8 Holden driver Whincup pulled away to win with relative ease.
Davison admitted after the race that he did not have the pace to challenge Whincup, although he is hopeful that set-up changes for Sunday's final race will allow him to take the fight to his rival.
"The car is pretty good," said Davison. "With a very small tweak I'm sure we can put on a good show with Jamie."
As in race one, Stone Brothers Ford driver Shane van Gisbergen came home third with FPR's Mark Winterbottom passing Lee Holdsworth at Turn 5 on the second lap to secure fourth.
Garth Tander, in the lead Holden Racing Team entry, followed Winterbottom past Holdsworth to take fifth, with the SBR man then falling behind David Reynolds and Tim Slade after losing time with a half-spin, possibly caused by contact.
Jonathon Webb took ninth place under intense late-race pressure from Fabian Coulthard and Craig Lowndes.
James Courtney did not start with the rest of the pack after suffering suspension damage in a lap two incident in this morning's first race. He came 14th.
Whincup's win moves him a step closer to a fourth V8 Supercar crown, giving him a 270-point lead over Winterbottom.
"We've got another race tomorrow and two more rounds to go back in Australia," said Whincup. "It's all tightening up, but it's all about tomorrow. That's all that is on my mind."
Results - 12 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Jamie Whincup Triple Eight Holden 26m48.8530s
2. Will Davison FPR Ford + 2.801s
3. Shane van Gisbergen Stone Brothers Ford + 8.708s
4. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford + 9.210s
5. Garth Tander HRT Holden + 14.720s
6. Tim Slade Rosenberg/SBR Ford + 17.971s
7. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford + 19.599s
8. Lee Holdsworth Stone Brothers Ford + 24.696s
9. Jonathon Webb Tekno Holden + 29.359s
10. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden + 30.094s
11. Craig Lowndes Triple Eight Holden + 30.138s
12. Rick Kelly Kelly Holden + 32.276s
13. James Moffat Dick Johnson Ford + 33.822s
14. James Courtney HRT Holden + 34.468s
15. Michael Caruso Garry Rogers Holden + 34.697s
16. Russell Ingall Walkinshaw/HRT Holden + 38.358s
17. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden + 39.863s
18. Michael Patrizi Tekno Holden + 40.550s
19. Tony D'Alberto D'Alberto Ford + 41.449s
20. Steve Owen Paul Morris/DJR Ford + 42.622s
21. Karl Reindler Kelly Holden + 42.889s
22. Steven Johnson Dick Johnson Ford + 43.598s
23. Dean Fiore DJR/Triple F Ford + 50.179s
24. Taz Douglas Dumbrell Holden + 50.657s
25. Alexandre Premat Garry Rogers Holden + 54.732s
26. Tim Blanchard Kelly Holden + 57.138s
27. Greg Murphy Kelly Holden + 58.894s
28. David Wall Britek/BJR Holden + 1m13.0040s