FIA president Jean Todt says Hyundai return shows WRC strength
|By David Evans||Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 16:14 GMT|
FIA president Jean Todt says Hyundai's return to the World Rally Championship is testament to the strength of the series.
The Korean firm will begin testing its i20 WRC next year before starting a full WRC campaign in 2014 - its first since the firm quit the sport due to budget problems in 2003.
Todt said: "We are delighted to welcome Hyundai back into our rallying family.
"This is a great boost to our championship and underlines the faith global manufacturers have in our sport, despite the difficult economic times we all face."
After the i20 WRC was revealed in Paris last week, ST Kim, Hyundai Motor Company senior executive vice president said: "You already know that we care about developing the performance of our cars, and we're taking our commitment to performance to a new level.
"I am happy to announce that Hyundai will race in next year's World Rally Championship. We're back, and we're ready to compete."