Fresh doubts emerge over 2013 New Jersey Grand Prix
|By Matt Beer||Tuesday, September 25th 2012, 12:05 GMT|
New doubts have been raised over the planned 2013 New Jersey Formula 1 street race after Bernie Ecclestone revealed the existing contract for the race had been annulled.
The provisional 2013 schedule circulated during last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix had the second American event slated for a mid-June date.
Ecclestone was quoted by the Guardian as saying New Jersey organisers "have not complied with the terms and conditions of the contract which is now gone anyway. They don't have a contract."
But although the 2013 calendar is set to be finalised at an FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting on Friday, Ecclestone said there was still hope for New Jersey.
"We are pretty close to the final deadline," he said. "We have got a world council meeting coming up.
"I think if somebody got behind them it could happen in 2013 because they have come a long way with the circuit."
F1 will return to America after a five-year absence with the inaugural race at Austin's Circuit of the Americas in November.