Find out more about our subscriptions

Davidson to remain in hospital following Le Mans crash

Anthony Davidson Le Mans 24 Hours crashAnthony Davidson is set to remain in hospital until Monday following his accident in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The Toyota driver flipped on the entry to Mulsanne Corner after the #81 AF Corse Ferrari he was lapping turned in on him. The TS030 then careered into the barriers in a huge impact.

Davidson was taken away from the scene by ambulance to the circuit's medical centre before being transferred to hospital complaining of back pain, although mercifully he appeared to have suffered no major injuries.

In a statement Toyota confirmed that the 33-year-old will be kept under observation for the next 48 hours, and had already been visited by his team-mates in the #8 car Sebastien Buemi and Stephane Sarrazin.

"Motorsport can be a rollercoaster of emotions and we experienced great joy to see Nicolas [Lapierre] taking the lead of Le Mans, only for the shock of Anthony's accident," said team president Yoshiaki Kinoshita. "It was a huge relief to hear he is OK and a testament to the strength of the TS030 hybrid monocoque."

The #7 sister car was also involved in contact at the restart following the lengthy clean-up operation, when Kazuki Nakajima crashed into the DeltaWing.

Running repairs and an alternator failure have subsequently dropped the car, which led briefly before Davidson's shunt, a long way down the order.

"Unfortunately [the accident] triggered further problems for us as Kazuki was among lapped traffic at the restart and was unlucky to make contact," said Kinoshita-san.

"We've had further issues since then but we will keep fighting to get to the flag; we don't give up."

  More news  
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
Davidson says seat saved him
Davidson flies home after crash
Q & A: Davidson on Le Mans crash
Davidson hoping for swift recovery
Davidson suffers broken back in crash
Davidson set for hospital checks
Davidson taken to medical centre