Deadline set to secure GT1 World Championship's future
|Friday, June 15th 2012, 15:33 GMT|
FIA GT1 World Championship organisers have been given until August 30 to keep the series alive for next year.
The FIA World Motorsport Council announced on Friday that 10 teams representing 10 different brands must enter the 2013 championship by the deadline.
The most recent round at the Slovakia Ring last weekend featured eight teams, each representing a different brand. However, series promoter Stephane Ratel told this week's AUTOSPORT magazine that he was hopeful of Aston Martin returning for the next round at Algarve and bringing the total to nine manufacturers.
A statement from the WMSC read "In order to set in place the necessary marketing and commercial plans and create stability for the series, the 2013 FIA GT1 World Championship will only be confirmed if 10 teams representing 10 brands enter before August 30, 2012".
Ratel had previously told AUTOSPORT of his desire to get 10 brands sewn up for 2013 by a self-imposed deadline of July 29.