Klien denies assault charges story
|By Pablo Elizalde||Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 11:17 GMT|
Christian Klien has denied he has been charged with assault after a fight earlier this month in an Austrian discotheque.
According to the Vorarlberger Nachrichten newspaper, the Red Bull driver injured a guest in the discotheque's bar during a fight on February 11th and the newspaper claims the man pressed charges against the driver.
The newspaper also claimed Klien had left the bar without paying the bill and that he had been banned from returning to the place.
A Red Bull spokeswoman, however, told autosport.com that no charges had been pressed against Klien, and the driver himself issued a statement denying the story.
"The partially distorted and incorrect reports published in recent days in various media
have prompted me to issue the following clarification," said Klien in the statement.
"I have not been banned from the discotheque 'Enjoy' in Altach. The 'Enjoy' licencee/owner has explicitly confirmed this in an email addressed to me on 20 February 2006.
"On 11 February 2006 I was confronted, in the discotheque 'Enjoy', with a bill for EUR 150.00, which in my opinion bore no relation either to the items which I ordered or were ordered on my behalf. I therefore initially declined to pay, explaining that I would seek clarification from the manager.
"It is therefore absurd and offensive to speak of 'payment evasion'. The sum was paid following the afore-mentioned clarification with the manager.
"I was not involved in any fight in the 'Enjoy' on 11 February 2006. I therefore did not injure any guest of this establishment. The statement to the contrary made by the allegedly injured party constitutes defamation.
"This is a matter of principle: I enjoy inviting my friends; but not those who pose as my friends, when they are not. I am sure that anyone can understand this point."