As I write, I'm sitting in the press office at the Losail circuit after a magic-carpet-ride of an evening in which a mist has lifted from over the paddock.
Everyone was a winner on the podium, for reasons that are blazingly obvious, but the real winners out of this first race have been the MotoGP fans, who have been subjected to five years of 800cc rules that arguably shouldn't have been introduced, and gave us a run of three standard-issue winners week in week out after the glory years of the 990s, when we never really knew who was going to win. How different Qatar 2013 was!
Sure, it's easy to walk around all day with rose-tinted spectacles with frames made out of metal from Nicky Hayden's V5 or Valentino Rossi's Welkom Yamaha, but Qatar 2013 was just the ticket to kick off the season.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.